It's easiest to think of groups as private chat rooms in your projects. Each group includes only the members that you invite to join it. For example, you might have a group called "Internal Team" within a project that your client and subcontractors are not a part of. Just remember: everything you share in a group can be seen by all of its members. To know who is a part of each group, click the gear icon in the top right corner of the group's home page.
When you create a project, you'll also need to create an initial group. Adding additional groups to a project in your BuildBook account is simple. Just follow the steps below.
Creating a group within a project
- Navigate to the "Projects & Collections" screen and find the project where you'd like to add a group.
- At the bottom of the project card, click "+ Add Group".
- Give your new group a name. To make it easy, chose a name based on the kind of members it will include. e.g. Clients, Subs, Internal Team, Designer, etc.
- After naming your group, click "next". Congrats, your new group is now created! Now it's time to add members.
Adding members to a group
- From the groups main page, click on the gear icon in top right corner to access the group settings page.
- To the right of the Members section, click on "+ Add Member".
- From here you'll be invite members by either entering their email address or clicking on the toggle switch next to anyone that is already part of your BuildBook Contacts list.
Note: You have an option to grant anyone you invite with admin privileges by checking the box "Grant Pro Team-Member rights" when adding their email. Click the "?" next to this option to learn more about what that means.
- Once you've added everyone, click "done". You'll see a prompt asking you to confirm before the members are sent invitations.
Note: BuildBook will send an email to anyone you invite from this page — including existing contacts — with simple instructions to join your group.
Making changes to an existing group
Each group within a project includes its own group settings. You can access these settings from the groups main page by clicking on the gear icon in top right corner of the page. From the group settings page, you'll be able to do the following:
Change your group name
- Find the "Group Name" section at the top of your group settings page.
- To change the name, simply type over the existing name in the input box.
- Click "done" when you're finished.
Resend group invitations/Revoke group membership
- Find the list of all active and pending group members in the "Member" section of the group settings page.
- To have BuildBook resend an invite to a member, click the "Resend email invite" below the members email address.
- To revoke a members access to the group, click on the red toggle switch to the right of the member. Note: you need to click "done" to complete this step.
Delete a group from a project
- With the "Group Settings" section at the bottom of your group settings page, click on the red "Delete Group" link.
- A confirmation box will appear asking if you're certain about deleting the group. To confirm, click "Yes".